Multipatch Storage in ArcSDE: Are there any special requirements?

03-20-2012 07:13 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Having had a look around the resource centre, I can't identify any special storage requirements for multi-patch geometry type. 

Can anyone verify any best practice to its storage in ArcSDE (can i assume its safe to treat it like vector data & no special storage requirements)?

Brad
0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
ArcSDE doesn't directly support multipatch geometries -- the SE_SHAPE geometry
model doesn't support them.  ArcGIS uses the CAD object, and hides multipatches
from ArcSDE.  However, only ArcGIS can access them there.  So, there's no special
requirements, but it's NOT just another type of vector data.

- V
0 Kudos
CyrusBlankinship
New Contributor

So just to make sure, there is no possible way to export multipatch feature classes from a file geodatabase to ArcSDE?

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It's been forever since I last looked at this, but I believe nothing has changed, in which case the answer is:  It IS still possible to store multipatch in an enterprise geodatabase (there is no such thing as ArcSDE anymore), but this is only through use of a CAD object, since the underlying geomety type does not support multipatch.

Given that it's been 4 years, you might be better off asking a new question.  You should specify the version of ArcGIS involved.

- V

0 Kudos
CyrusBlankinship
New Contributor

Hah, I didn't even notice the date to the thread. Will post a new one now. Thanks Vince.

0 Kudos