Moving ArcGIS Data To New Computer

Jump to solution
02-08-2016 08:39 AM
WilliamCole
Occasional Contributor

I have a feeling that I'm not framing this question properly and for that I apologize, nevertheless:

My ArcGIS licensed products are on computer A.  My map data [.mxd, rasters, layers, etc.], including geodatabase, are on Computer B.  I do this I as I have offisite backup attached to Computer B.  Computer A has only local backup.

Computer B is threatening to go south so I bought a replacement for it; called Computer C.

I copied the database and map files from Computer B to Computer C, using the same directory names on both.

i copied the .prj and .txt files and related subdirectories [which are in a subdirectory \ArcGIS on Computer B] to Computer C, keeping the same subdirectory name.

I reset the Home directory in the Catalog so that it points to Computer C.  When I restart ArcGIS, I see the new Home directory.

When I go to load a map [.mxd], however, I'm seeing the base map in it's proper extent, but I'm not seeing the layers that are associated with the .mxd file.  If I, however, authenticate to Computer B [the old one], all is well.  Obviously I've missed some step in the transfer, but I can't work out what that might be.

Would very much appreciate a pointer to the appropriate part of the ArcGIS help file that explains this.  [I've tried various search options on the Help file, but never seem to get quite the right set of search words].

Many thanks,  Bill Cole

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
WilliamCole
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to everyone for helping me sort out how to get my data moved to a new place.  It is all done and, thanks to you all, have learned a lot about this aspect of the ArcGIS product.  I really appreciate the help.

0 Kudos