Merge Causes Polygons, Polylines to Disappear

07-18-2012 07:21 AM
MaryAnnSteinmetz
New Contributor III
Some of our GIS Techs have experienced polygons and polylines disappearing after a merge. Has anyone else seen this before? They are editing a versioned SDE geodatabase in ArcMap 10 sp3. These are small sliver polygons that they are trying to merge with larger parcel polygons. It's not due to a definition query as there are none set on this layer.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
GIS1
by
New Contributor II
Happening to me now as well on 2 different data sets. Using ArcMap 10. Haven't figured out a workaround yet...

check this post to see how long it has been occurring for

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/47954-Merging-polygons-causing-them-to-dissapear-shape-file
0 Kudos
RobertMacCord
New Contributor
I just updated to 10.1 and I have the same problem................one of the parcels disappears.  The disppearing parcel appears to become a duplicate of the remaining parcel and lies on top of it. 

Another problem is that in 10.0 individual points could be moved when a parcel is unjoined and then joined again.  In 10.1, you can't move individual points around.

I have to admit, this parcel fabric  business is very frustrating and not really worth converting to.  It's "clunkier" to use and takes far
longer to use than the old polygons and topologiy.
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Are both datasets in the same projection? If not, the features will be merged but the second of the datasets will not display in the correct location.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
DominicRorke
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
VadimShavrin
New Contributor II

Try to repair geometry of the feature classes you work with while merging. It worked for me.

0 Kudos
NourSalam2
New Contributor

I know this is a very late reply but this may be helpful to future users. I was trying to merge 5 shapefiles today and one of them kept disappearing. It turns out that my problem occurred because of dataset schema mismatch. This means that the shapefile in question had one different field in its attribute table. A workaround is to merge all shapefiles with identical fields, then use the "Append" tool to add the differing shapefiles and set "Schema Type" to "NO_TEST", which allows the addition of shapefiles that do not necessarily match the target's dataset schema.

0 Kudos