Matching Lambert Azithumal Equal Area to WorldClim rasters

07-14-2016 02:23 PM
AlecYzaguirre
New Contributor

Hello community,

I apologize ahead of time if I'm not using the correct terminology, I'm trying though I am rather new to GIS as a whole.

I'm attempting to match the coordinate systems of several different rasters so that I can ensure they all have the same extent and cell size.

Most of my data is from WorldClim.org - and as such is unprojected with the datum WGS84, I clipped these rasters using a country boundary shapefile without issue.

However, I'm attempting to incorporate rasters from the USGS Hydro1k dataset for North America. These rasters are projected in Lambert Azithumal Equal Area. I'm uncertain of the steps needed to change these rasters to match the rest of the layers, or if that's possible.

I've attempted a number of solutions on my own. I then realized that I'm more or less blindly doing things, and I figured I should ask someone that actually knows and do it right.

I appreciate any assistance provided!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If they were clipped using a geographic coordinate system (GCS WGS84 for instance) and you want to produce a new file with projected coordinates in your chosen projection, then you use the Project Raster tool.  Ensure that the unproject file has a defined coordinate system first

Project Raster—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

How Project Raster works—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
AlecYzaguirre
New Contributor

Dan Patterson​ - Thank you for your reply!

So if I'm understanding correctly - I can simply clip the Lambert Azimuthal EAP rasters using the same shapefile I used for the unprojected WGS84 rasters, and then reproject those using the Reproject Raster tool?

My apologies if that's not quite right!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

unprojected files should use an unprojected clip file

projected files should use a projected clip file

all this is to avoid the confusing projection-on-the-fly stuff.

So if you need a projected file for clipping and you don't have one, then you can Project one to get it.