Locator Style for Apt or Units

03-21-2011 11:34 AM
DaleSimper
New Contributor III
I was wondering if anyone has an ArcGIS 10 locator style file that will geocode house addresses with Apt or Unit #'s.  I have gone through Appendix G of the Customizing Locators document, which is suppose to allow this, but still after customizing my style file as the document instructs I'm not able to geocode Apt or unit #'s.  So I was wondering if anyone has had any success in customizing a style file to allow this and are willing to share.  Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
48 Replies
RobertoFigueroa
New Contributor III
Is there any update for an address style using Apt or Units for ArcGIS 10.1?
Thanks
Roberto-
0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Occasional Contributor III
Roberto,

Are you asking if a style using units or apartments is available out-of-the-box at 10.1?  The answer is no.  But the style I contributed in this thread, as well as Brad's, are usable in 10.1.

There is a GIS Idea requesting such a style be part of the core list of styles that you can vote your support for.  The link has been put in this (response #8) and other companion threads on this same subject.
0 Kudos
AnjoletteSpradling
New Contributor III
I'm trying to create a locator with USSingleHouseUnits using an alternate name table (with 10.2). It works fine with just the address points, but when I try to add the table I get this error:

[INDENT]ERROR 000042: Failed to create the address locator.
The table was not found. [AddressUnit_Alt_lox]
An invalid SQL statement was used. [SELECT AddressPoints.Shape, AddressPoints.OBJECTID, AddressPoints.Address_Num, AddressPoints.Unit, AddressPoints.ZIPCODE FROM AddressPoints, ADDPTIDAltNames WHERE (AddressPoints.ADDPNTID = ADDPTIDAltNames.ADDPNTID) AND (   <> '' AND
             <> ' ' AND
          UPPER(  ) <> 'UNNAMED' AND
          UPPER(  ) <> 'UNNAMED STREET'
        )][/INDENT]

The error 000042 isn't much help. I haven't worked with the details of locators much so I'm not sure what it's looking for in the SQL statement. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Anjolette
0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Anjolette,

I am afraid I will not be of much help, as we currently do not use alternate name tables nor are we on 10.2 yet.  But I would be interested in the solution because I have been contemplating adding alternate names into our locators.

Hopefully Brad from esri or someone else has an answer or suggestion(s) for you.
0 Kudos
EmilyLee
Occasional Contributor II
Hello. Just want to see if anyone has created a locator for Unit # yet for 10.2. Thank you!
And yes, I've already voted for the address unit locator to be in the core product.
0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Emily,
I can confirm that the style I've uploaded--that contains a field for the fractional portion of the address--works at 10.2.  I would expect that the style that Brad from esri has uploaded also works, but I cannot confirm that since I don't use that style.

Were you having trouble getting either to work? You should be able to find the links/files in earlier thread messages and even in one or two other threads if you haven't already downloaded either of them.
0 Kudos
PatrickLockwitz
New Contributor III
Brian, can you re-post the latest locator?  I'm working in 10.2.  Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Patrick,

My version of the style hasn't changed, so the file available on other threads is still valid.  Regardless, it is attached for your convenience.  At this writing my organization is using 10.2.
PeterHanmore
New Contributor III

Brian Oevermann,

This thread is a bit old, but I was testing your locator style (we're using 10.2.2) and noticed that fractions in the house number don't seem to be recognized when using multi-line input.  Multi-line works fine with other suffixes, like A,B or C - just not with fractions.  I tried using 1/2 (i.e. 3 ascii characters) and ½ (ascii &#189; ) - neither works.  Single line input DOES recognize fractions and returns the correct results.

Have you tested your style with fractions on multi-line inputs? 

0 Kudos
BrianOevermann

Peter,

We don't use multi-line input--only single-line--so I've never noticed an issue and of course never bothered to test it with multi-line input. And you have confirmed that single-line works correctly. So I don't believe I can be of much help.

Have you tried the version that Brad Niemand (Esri) created to see if it has similar issues? I really only added fractionals and units to an existing locator--and Brad actually tweaked it under the hood to fix some remaining issues because the available documentation isn't extensive enough for me to know/understand what those changes should be.

0 Kudos