Is it possible to perform a query on a group of layers? Or if not a query then a select by attribute? I am looking for a way to identify all data that meets a certain specification within an entire group of layers.

09-01-2017 02:02 PM
JessicaMoore
New Contributor

Is it possible to perform a query on a group of layers? Or if not a query then a select by attribute? I am looking for a way to identify all data that meets a certain specification within an entire group of layers.

An example would be if I have a layer group that looks like this:

Job Type Layer Group

All jobs (query set to only show job type 1)

All jobs (query set to only show job type 2)

All jobs (query set to only show job type 3)

Can I then set a query for the entire Layer group to say ‘only show supervisors’? Or if not a query a select by attribute, but some way to effect the whole group of layers?

Thank you for the help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jessica,

What software product or API is this question concerning?

0 Kudos
JessicaMoore
New Contributor

Sorry for not providing that information before. It is ArcMAP 10.3.1

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jesica,

You can use the Find tool to search all layers in a map for a certain criteria.

Using the Find tool—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

You could do a Select by Attribute on each layer, then save off the results to feature classes.  Then one could go on to process them by whatever is needed next, be it Merge them, Select from them further, Join them, etc. (to come up with more specifics along this line we would need to know more specifics about the data and what you want to do with it).

Also, If this is a common bit of processing that would need to be run on a regular basis, one could automate the process by employing Modelbuilder or Python.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos