Is Attribute Assistant a Stand Alone Product?

05-17-2012 10:46 AM
AlanToms
Occasional Contributor
Is Attribute Assistant a stand alone product or only availaible with the Infrastructure Network Editing template?  Is there an easy  way to pull out the Attribute Assistant "code" from Infrastructure Network Editing and use it in other maps?

Thank you
Alan
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hey Alan,

You might want to post this question in the http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/60-Esri-Published-Data-Models and perhaps http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/42-Water-Utilities as well to get attention from right people.

I've not used this template on my own, but based on what I read in the .pdf file - you get:

• some toolboxes (essentially, GP tools for use with ArcToolbox);

• some esri add-ins (those extend standard ArcMap functionality - remember those VBA scripts?).

These things can be used in ArcMap with any map document and any data as long as the tools can be applied to the data structures (create new features - possible in feature classes and not in rasters). You can use the things listed above; they are not tied to the map document template and sample geodatabase. Those are just to help you get started.

Is there an easy way to pull out the Attribute Assistant "code" from Infrastructure Network Editing and use it in other maps?

You get the un-compiled source code for the Infrastructure Network Editing Toolbar and Add-ins (which means you have the code at your disposal).
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm using AA in my own mxd, outside of any ESRI templates or mxds:

Attribute Assistant | ArcGIS Solutions   for the download

Just install it and add it as an add in with ArcCatalog.  You need to add the tables that come with it to your mxd (At least the DynamicVlue table).  Just create your own file Geodatabase and put your data and the AA tables there.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

Joe, in a multi-user, multi-editting environment, shouldn't those tables be in an EGDB, at least if one is making use of the GenerateID table.  Which the documentation says must not be versioned.  And/or to share with others the various rules one sets up.

Depends of course a lot on how one's org & editing workflows are setup.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

At this stage of my game I'm testing the functionality for my workflow, and I plan to put it into an Enterprise GDB environment. To answer your question, yes, those tables would have to be in the EGDB.   That said, the trick is how to edit those non-versioned tables that exist in the EGDB environment, right?  I think this explains it:

Configuring an ArcMap edit session to perform nonversioned edits—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Something I discovered in my test is the Attribute Assistant add in will not even turn if the DynamicValues table isn't present in your mxd.  Something else worth noting is I recommend grabbing the Domains, especially those associated with the DymanicValues table from the original file geodatbase that ships with the local government information model download: use domain to table and then table to domain to get them into your database.

Paul Davidson

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos