Select to view content in your preferred language

Incorrect Measures When Using Linear Referencing

Jump to solution
02-20-2012 09:35 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi all,

I developed a river centerline using the draw > curve tool.  I then converted the graphic to shapefile and made sure that there was only one, singlepart feature.  I then created a routed shapefile from it using the Create Route tool.

Using the route editing toolbar, I applied measures to the line.  When hatching the line to see the result, it is apparent that the measures are not linear.  In other words, the hatch labels jump around and are not spaced evenly.

I've done this process before and not had a problem, but can't seem to make this one work.  Any ideas?

Many thanks-
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks Hardolph.  Very good advice.

The feature that I was having routing issues with turned out to be the buggy result of the 'Convert Graphics to Features' tool.

When I ran the conversion, for some reason the routine 'doubled back' my line, superimposing it on top of the line I drew.  This resulted in a single feature that traced back on itself, leading to bizarre hatching results.  I split the double line at one end then deleted the extra one.  All is well now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HardolphWasteneys
Deactivated User
Bryan,

I see you have just replied to my post in the other thread. 
As I said there I like to stick to examining the attribute tables for setting up routes rather than relying on the subjectivity of the screen click tools.  If I do use them them I typically monitor the SELECTION tab in the Table of contents to see if I'm selecting the right number of segments and from the right layers.

Hardolph
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks Hardolph.  Very good advice.

The feature that I was having routing issues with turned out to be the buggy result of the 'Convert Graphics to Features' tool.

When I ran the conversion, for some reason the routine 'doubled back' my line, superimposing it on top of the line I drew.  This resulted in a single feature that traced back on itself, leading to bizarre hatching results.  I split the double line at one end then deleted the extra one.  All is well now.
0 Kudos