Import/Export XML Workspace Document disabled

09-28-2011 01:07 PM
TimWhiteaker
Occasional Contributor II
I have an XML schema file.  I wanted to import it into a new geodatabase I just created using ArcCatalog 10.  I have an ArcInfo license.  I right-click the database and point to Import, but the XML Workspace Document item is disabled (greyed out).  It is also disabled when I attempt to export an XML Workspace Document from a populated geodatabase. 

I found that I had to click the plus sign next to the geodatabase in ArcCatalog first.  After that, options regarding XML Workspace Document are enabled.  Does anyone know why this is the case? 

This solution is credited to Dan Siegel.
2 Replies
BenLin
by
New Contributor III
Hi Tim,

I believe the fact of this issue is that you will need to "connect" to the file/personal geodatabase first, so that you can export/import the xml workspace document.

From ArcCatalog, if you go to the folder directly, then right click the geodabase from within the "Contents" window, you then will see the option to export/import XML is greyed out (disabled); however, if you right click the geodatabase from within the "Catalog Tree" window, same as you click the "Plus" sign next to the geodatabase, then you will be able to see the option to export/import XML.

This's kind of like for any SDE geodatabases, that you need to first actually connect to the SDE geodatabase, then you will be able to apply any other operations for that SDE geodatabase.

Thanks,
Ben L.
KyleMorgan
New Contributor III
Definitely not intuitive.

Everyone is always afraid to connect to the database due to the schema locks that get put on the workspace so it's out of habit to not 'connect' to the databse to export.  Makes sense as to WHY you need to, just old habits die hard when there's not a 'disconnect' to a FGDB/PGDB.
0 Kudos