Import ArcInfo Coverages into ArcGIS 10.3

Jump to solution
01-28-2016 02:10 AM
AnnaK
by
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I am using ArcGIS 10.3 and am trying to import data for a map from USGS (Tectonic Map of the Circum-Pacific Region, Pacific Basin Sheet ). On their website they describe the data as:

"The map digital database includes several Arc/Info coverages (individual vector datasets)

The databases in this report were compiled in ArcInfo workstation (not ArcGIS Desktop), a

commercial Geographic Information System (Environmental Systems Research Institute)

ArcInfo workstation version 9.3 for Windows XP"

I do not succeed in importing the data (mainly adf-files) as coverage, as I imagined it would work. I also don't even see the files in ArcCatalog.

I attach a screenshot of the overall folder-structure and one opened folder ("basin") with the adf-files.

Can anyone help out? Is it possible to load the data with ArcGIS Desktop at all?

Thanks,

Anna

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

There should be an INFO folder at the same level as the coverage names. The .adf files won't work without the associated files that are in the INFO folder (a bunch of tables). I downloaded the map data zip file, and the data's not usable in ArcGIS--but it should be.

I don't think there's anything you can do except contact them and say that the zip file is missing the INFO directory and that the data's unusable without it.

Melita

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

There should be an INFO folder at the same level as the coverage names. The .adf files won't work without the associated files that are in the INFO folder (a bunch of tables). I downloaded the map data zip file, and the data's not usable in ArcGIS--but it should be.

I don't think there's anything you can do except contact them and say that the zip file is missing the INFO directory and that the data's unusable without it.

Melita

AnnaK
by
New Contributor II

Hi Melita,

thanks for your input!

I contacted the people at www.circum-pacificcouncil.org  and they replied that there are updates occurring on the USGS website, however, they do not have anyone currently working on the International Programs website. So it seems the data is on hold for the time being...

best,

Anna

0 Kudos