Select to view content in your preferred language

I have one shapefile that will not import into a personal database properly.

Jump to solution
07-16-2017 08:59 AM
FLTCMapping
Deactivated User

I have imported 100s of other individual shapefiles into many other personal database files, but I have one shapefile that will not import properly. ArcMap will import the file, but it does not appear the same. This is a fairly large shapefile (114 MB) and the mdb file is nearly 2GB.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Run the Repair Geometry (on a copy) and see how many records you end up with.  At least you can export the table to at least save the tabular data as it stands as well

FLTCMapping
Deactivated User

I ran the repair. It removed the 5 entries with null geometry. But when I tried to export the data, I got several error messages. A shapefile was created, but it is still missing the 69 entries.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So if you still have the attributes in the original, export those 'missing' records, provide them some geometry then append them together with the other data

FLTCMapping
Deactivated User

I appreciate your patience and help in trying to help me solve my problem. I maintain the maps for the Finger Lakes Trail Conference, a non profit group in New York State.  Our trail consists of over 1000 miles of public footpath that travels across the state. We have 70 maps. I know just enough about ArcMap to maintain our maps. I am trying to move our shapefiles into GDB files for consistency.  The shapefile that I am having trouble with consists of all public roads in the state.   To provide a specific example of my problem, there is a single road that shows on the map when I use the shapefile as the source for the layer.  The same road does not show when I use the GDB element created by importing the same shapefile. The entry for this road is in both tables. It has all the same values in every field.  I am completely stymied as to why it is drawn on the map when using the shapefile as source, but not when using the GDB file as source. Any further help to unravel this mystery is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is there any chance that the shapefile has an undefined coordinate system or one that has a different one than the geodatabase?

Right-click on the shapefile, select properties and coordinate system (plus have a cruise through the other tabs)... what does it report?

Repeat for the geodatabase layers

Report what they are as best you can

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Suggest starting a new thread, no one will see this new question!