How to create vector shapes by tracing?

10-27-2016 09:43 AM
HannahLees1
New Contributor

I am new to GIS-- I have skills with adobe creative suite, and javascript, html, css.

I want to create a map with multiple layers using arcgis. Each layer will have shapes that represent a territory in Colorado associated with a particular utility company. I have PDF images of Colorado maps that have the shapes drawn onto them.

The goal is to have a user scroll over a particular place in CO and know which utility companies are available in that location.

My first thought was - "I will upload the pdf to Illustrator, trace the shapes, then upload the vector shapes into ArcGIS"

However, I tried this, and saved it in every format that illustrator allowed and I was not able to upload it. I KNOW that there is a way to do it with very expensive software, and I have tried saving it as a DWG and that does not work.

MY QUESTION:

How can I trace shapes in Arc GIS without having the coordinate data? Is there another software I can use (Without attached cost) that will allow me to create these vector files that I can then just put over the map of colorado in different layers?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
LynnGionette
New Contributor II

*acrobat

HannahLees1
New Contributor

Thank you.

I have saved it as a tiff and uploaded it to my content. However, I am unable to find it when I go to "Maps" and search my content... I also have no place where I can find the "view-- toolbar --- georeference" that I have read about in many blogs. 

I do not have Arc GIS desktop but rather ArcOnline

0 Kudos
LynnGionette
New Contributor II

The Georeference tool bar is not automatically added to the tool bars, you want to go to the Customize drop down at the top of arcmap and select tool bars. You can turn on the georeferencing tool bar there.   You will want to read a quick tutorial online on how to georeference before hand. It's very easy but can seem hard at first. You can do it!!

LynnGionette
New Contributor II

oh darn, I just read that you have online and not desktop. I'm sorry I gave you desk top instructions. We don't use online here. I'm not sure how to help but it can't be much different. There must be some sort of customize and georeference tool.

You got this!!

0 Kudos
HannahLees1
New Contributor

I would like to be able import my file to arc GIS so i can trace over it

0 Kudos