How do I have a feature (e.i manhole) store a coordinate and though I move the feature over the map, the coordinate I stored in the feature does not change?

08-28-2017 09:20 AM
StanleyLebrun1
New Contributor

I am working with utility network and I am trying to correctly represent my sewer network infrastructure. Therefore, I have to decide between accuracy and proper visualization. In order to have both, I plan to have accuracy in the metadata while providing the proper visualization. Therefore, my plan is to have my the correct coordinates in my attribute table while the feature may not be at the precise location for visualization purposes. Hint my question, how do I have a feature (e.i manhole) store a coordinate and though I move the feature over the map, the coordinate I stored in the feature does not change?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I'd like to offer an alternative approach.  How about employing cartographic Representations?  This way the data can remain accurate, but be portrayed differently.  For example, one can displace a point to the side when there is clutter in the Representation of it, but the underlying data still contains the original location.

What are representations?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Caveats:

• If the project you are working on is a quick "one and done" project, then Representations are probably not worth doing.  But if the data will be displayed over and over in the same map extent (like for a map that is put out every month), I've found it is worth it to take the time to set them up.
  • If you have not used Representations before, it will take some time to get up to speed with using them.  Some of the processes are not intuitive and their are some quirks.  But it can be well-worth it for an ongoing map effort.

Chris Donohue, GISP