Georeferenced tiffs crash ArcMap 10.2.2

10-27-2015 08:23 AM
ElizabethB
New Contributor III

Ever since we upgraded to version 10, I'm having issues with using georeferenced tiffs in ArcMap. Here's my workflow - I receive a plat, then add it to ArcMap, georeference it, and then I sketch in streets and assign addresses.  At version 10, when I begin this task, after anywhere from 10-15 minutes, ArcMap starts gobbling up my  memory and eventually becomes unresponsive.  I am reduced to keeping my task manager open so I can watch out for the rapid increase in memory and (hopefully) save my mxd before it locks up, usually when it's close to 3 gigs eaten.

I have seen references to a memory leak but that was supposedly fixed at version 10.2 ( I thought) - others have said to remove the georeferencing toolbar from the mxd, and save it, then close out and reopen - that didn't help.

This occurs whether I am using an existing mxd, or I've also built new ones, and after rectifying the image, I will close out that mxd and create a new mxd using only the rectified image so I don't need to use the georeferencing toolbar any longer - it still occurs. It's gotten so bad, I can't do my work. If I am interrupted, say by a phone call, I have sat at my desk, not interacting with ArcMap, and watched it go from 120 Mb or so on my task manager, then it steadily and rapidly climbs to around 3 gigs, becomes nonresponsive, and my only choice is to End Task and start over.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is causing me HUGE problems in my daily work.  I'm using Windows 8.1, our sde is in Sql 2014 (this was a recent upgrade and my problems started before the upgrade).  I usually  have both sde layers and personal geodatabase layers in my mxd.  Here's a snippet of my Task Manager when ArcMap is non responsive.

TaskMgr.JPG

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ElizabethB
New Contributor III

Yes, ESRI Support did a lot of tracking down to find the issue - it was with the HP Assistant software that came preinstalled on my machine. Support said that this type of memory leakage was often due to third party software loaded on the PC. Hope this helps!