geocoding using zip codes in mexico city

01-15-2012 02:30 PM
kellyknudtson
New Contributor
I'm a bit of GIS beginner, I'd appreciate any and all advice. I'm using ArcGIS 10. 

I'm trying to geocode a set of data I have only using zip codes in Mexico City. I was able to find data that had zip codes in Mexico City listing their lat/long, it was an excel doc and I've converted it into a shape file. Basically, how do I geocode this? I've been reading tutorials, but am having trouble because most of them are based on geocoding of US addresss.  When creating an address locator, what style should I be using, the general-single field? What about reference data, the shape file I made? If anyone can point to any tutorials or offer me advice on where to go or where I'm goin wrong, I would highly appreciate it. 

Thank you
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I'm a bit of GIS beginner, I'd appreciate any and all advice. I'm using ArcGIS 10. 

I'm trying to geocode a set of data I have only using zip codes in Mexico City. I was able to find data that had zip codes in Mexico City listing their lat/long, it was an excel doc and I've converted it into a shape file. Basically, how do I geocode this? I've been reading tutorials, but am having trouble because most of them are based on geocoding of US addresss.  When creating an address locator, what style should I be using, the general-single field? What about reference data, the shape file I made? If anyone can point to any tutorials or offer me advice on where to go or where I'm goin wrong, I would highly appreciate it. 

Thank you

Kelly- geocoding is a process that converts locations, addresses, etc that we as humans recognize into a xy pair that a GIS can display.  So, you and I understand 1234 Elm St and geocoding matches that address to a feature class and subsequently derives an xy pair based on the the matching data.  Street center line data with address ranges are by far the most popular data to match addresses to.

Is your Zip Code data in the form of  points or polygons?  My guess is you had a list of Zip Codes and in which the centroid of the zip code polygon is provided as an ay pair, and you have converted it to a point feature class.  I'm and old hand with versions of ArcGIS 9.3.1 and earlier, and I'm fumbling about with the geocoding process in 10.0.  However, you may want to take a peak at the desktop help under Professional Library - Guide Books - Geocoding - Preparing For Geocoding you'll find a listing locator styles.  There are several available that will work with points or polygons, including  US Address-Zip 5-Digit that will probably be just what you are looking for.

You'll find a geocoding tutorial in that same Geocoding Guide Book.

Hope this helps-
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos