Generate Schema Report tool feedback

11-16-2023 05:00 PM
JonathanMurphy
Esri Contributor

Hey Everyone!

We've added the Generate Schema Report tool to ArcGIS Pro 3.2 and want to hear your feedback about it. I've posted a blog post to add context to the project with a brief history and also a look at where we'd like to take it in the future.

We know X-Ray was a much-used tool and hope this can help with some of the same workflows. Moving forward we'll be addressing a key workflow many of you have asked for: The ability to make schema changes in the Excel output and then reimport to create a new geodatabase with those updates. We're hoping to get this into Pro 3.3.

The Schema Report is available now but it's also a work in progress and we'd very much like to hear from you:

• What do you like and maybe want to see more of?
  • What is missing?
  • What could be improved?
  • What are your workflows?

Here are some links to related content:

I hope you find the tool helpful. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

Cheers!
Jonathan

7 Replies
AlexMontalvo_IER
New Contributor

This tool needs the ability to not just create a schema report but also allow editing of the schema and upload those changes back to the database. This was a tremendous time saver. 

ChrisRumig1
New Contributor

Generating a report of one dataset or a group of datasets (along with domains) is a very useful tool.  However, the gdb x-ray tools real power is being able to alter the schema domain and reload it to a file or enterprise gdb.  The only workaround I've found is use use FME from Safe Software.

JonathanMurphy
Esri Contributor

Yep, agreed. This was the key workflow. As mentioned in the blog, updating the schema in Excel and reimporting to create a gdb with the changes is the next phase of this project. I'll add this info to this post here so it's clear that's where we're going with it.  

Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you to the Esri team for this much needed integration in ArcGIS Pro itself. A couple of suggestions from a quick look:

• The Geodatabase Release in the report states 3.0.0 regardless of the actual geodatabase version. Even for an old 10.x.x gdb it states 3.0.0.
  • Possibility to include the Summary section in the PDF/HTML formats as well?
  • Add a hyperlink to go back to the top of the Page/Summary section in PDF/HTML. The Excel has this as TOC. The ArcGIS Diagrammer reports had something similar called "Back to Top" below each section. Helps a lot for large files.

Asrujit_SenGupta_0-1701238465009.png

TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

I'd love to generate a schema report in the form of an Entity Relationship Diagram - ERD.  If I recall right, Sparx Enterprise Architect can do it after importing a geodatabase XML Workspace Document.  It would be proper to right-click the GDB and say, "make an ERD" as PDF or HTML format.  Maybe there's already a tool for doing just that using the JSON or XLSX formats?

Like time-back-way-back with, what was it - ArcCatalog and Visio?  https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/geodatabases/documenting-your-geodatabase-de... 

Randomapper
New Contributor III

Would it be possible to add one more level to the "Domain Usage" tab, whereby clicking on the domain name would give a report of the contents of the Domain?

phess_luckstone
New Contributor III

One thing I would love in the tool itself it the ability to over write the file that is created.  This would help with automation, I did create a python file that kind of does that but it would be better if baked into the program.

# Name: GenerateSchemaReport_Example.py
# Description: GenerateSchemaReport of a file geodatabase

# Import the system modules
import arcpy
import os

# Set local variables
gdbWorkspace = "gdbWorkspace"
outputFolder = r"OutputFolderLocation"
outputFile = "SchemaReport.html"
outputPath = os.path.join(outputFolder, outputFile)

# Check if the output file exists and delete it if it does
if os.path.exists(outputPath):
    os.remove(outputPath)

# Generate schema report
arcpy.management.GenerateSchemaReport(gdbWorkspace, outputFolder, outputFile, ["HTML"])
0 Kudos