Finished sketch too early

05-16-2012 08:47 AM
ChrisSevers
New Contributor
This has happened to me on a number of occasions, and is extremely inefficient. I was in the process of sketching a polygon, when instead of right click and hitting "finish part" I accidentally hit "finish sketch." When I undo, the entire sketch is deleted, I am not put back into sketching mode. How can I get back to sketching, or is there some tool similar to reshape feature, or edit verticies, that will allow me to modify my sketch? I realize I could make a new shapefile, and use geoprocessing, clip to achieve the same effect, but that seems like a lot of additional work to do something that must already be built in.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
ChrisSevers
New Contributor
Not sure how you are doing this.  I just tested and it worked fine to draw an empty middle to create a doughnut.

These are the steps I did...

Drew rectangle
Right Clicked on Finish Sketch
Right Clicked on replace sketch
Right Clicked on Finish Part
Drew out doughnut hole in middle
Right Clicked on Finish Sketch

Worked perfectly:)

I did the same exact thing and had different results. I made the screen caps earlier, but uploading 8 pics was taking too long so I gave up. Five minutes and Ill have them up here.
0 Kudos
ChrisSevers
New Contributor
These two screen caps show a correctly sketched area.

1. Outline of first object.
     Then I drew in the hollow parts and hit F2 (finish sketch).
2. Correctly finished sketch.
0 Kudos
ChrisSevers
New Contributor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14447[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14448[/ATTACH]These next 2 screen caps illustrate my mistake.

3. I accidentally hit square and finish instead of finish part.
4. Result of mistake
0 Kudos
ChrisSevers
New Contributor
5. Replace sketch
6. Finish Part
7. Draw in hollow areas and finish parts
8. Attempted correction result.

Where am I going wrong? Thanks so much.
0 Kudos
TerrySilveus
Occasional Contributor III
Since you are drawing two "holes"...

Maybe try finish sketch after one hole, then replace sketch, finish part, and finish sketch again after the second hole is drawn... Not tested - just a thought.
0 Kudos
TerrySilveus
Occasional Contributor III
I think I may know what's happening.  The replace sketch is creating a second sketch using the "blueprints" of the first sketch.  You need to go into the table and delete the original (after the second is finished).  Try it again with the attribute table open and see if it is creating an additional row after you replace sketch.  This may be a bug - it's adding an additional rather than replacing, but deleting the original should reveal the sketch you want with the holes which should be there - the original sketch is just obscuring the holes.
0 Kudos
ChrisSevers
New Contributor
Thank you for your help. I will have to try your solution when I run into this issue again.

I realize it doesn't seem to be a substantial problem in my example, but you can imagine how much time I lose when I'm working on much larger areas (some of the objects I'm cutting these "holes" in are much larger and take hours to sketch).
0 Kudos