Finding Degrees Minutes Seconds

04-13-2012 12:06 PM
AlexanderBesemann1
New Contributor
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to get the attribute table to populate in Degrees, Minutes, Seconds format. I know how to do it with the extension XToolsPro but I am not able to use that since it isn't an option through my ArcMap tools. I have tried using the calculate geometry which allows me to do Decimal Degrees and other ways but not DMS. My question is can someone help or explain to me how I could go about that instead of writing them down and typing them individually for each point; a few wouldn't be horrible but I have more then a few. Decimal degrees works for now for the person I helped but he/she would like DMS later and I thought I would explore and see if I could get help to figure it out. Since the way I know how to isn't a possiblity.

Thanks
Alex
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
What version of ArcGIS are you using? Mine (v10) has the option to calculate DMS under units.

edit: you have more options for units in a text column. Obviously, you can't jam DMS into a numeric field because there are spaces, letters, quotes, and degree symbol.
0 Kudos
AlexanderBesemann1
New Contributor
I also am using (v10) I didn't even think about text... duh! Thank you. I just tried it and it came out to look like:

352840* 20' 17.155"  x  5332075* 18' 45.208"   So I have the format right.. Should have thought about it using 'Text'

so now my question is why are the degrees outerageously high then expected? Probably another thing I can think of either.

Thank you very much!

Alex
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
There is a Convert Coordinate Notation (Data Management toolbox - Projections and Transformation toolset):
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Convert_Coordinate_Notation/0017000000...

I haven't used it myself, but thought it may be helpful?
0 Kudos