Select to view content in your preferred language

Failure to access DBMS server when trying to connect users to new ArcGIS 10.2.2 SDE geodatabase

Jump to solution
08-28-2014 09:20 AM
ChadKopplin
Frequent Contributor

I receive the following error when trying to connect users to our new SQL SDE Geodatabase in ArcGIS 10.2.2.  Unable to connect to database server to retrieve database list, please verify your server name, user name, and password info and try again.  Failure to access DBMS server.  The SQL ports are open between the field office servers and the SQL server.  Any assistance with this issue will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
ChadKopplin
Frequent Contributor

In the field office I am unable to connect to Management Studio with either windows or database authentication.  The field users are using database authentication.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Try adding the IP Address of the server machine in the hosts file located at:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Then, try connecting to the geodatabase by specifying the IP Address for the 'Instance' in the connection details.

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin
Frequent Contributor

Thank you Jake.

0 Kudos
NancyMcWhorter
Deactivated User

We had this problem show up during an install of 10.3.  The problem turned out to be making the wrong choice during the install of 32bit or 64 bit computer.  I found that tidbit nowhere in the discussions here, so I thought I would add it.