extracting data using a 1km2 mesh from two datasets having different spatial res

07-18-2011 11:49 PM
TilottamaGhosh
New Contributor III
Hi,

So, I am doing this analysis using two sets of raster data. I have converted one raster dataset to 1km2 spatial resolution pixels, but the other one (specifically, the LandScan population dataset) has a spatial resolution of .0083333 decimal degrees and they have advised on their website (http://www.ornl.gov/sci/landscan/landscan_documentation.shtml) not to change the spatial resolution, as the data is in spherical coordinates and the area decreases from the equator to the poles. The LandScan population dataset depicts population counts in each grid cell. I have created a mesh of 1km2 grids and have overlaid it on the other raster dataset to extract the values per km2. If I overlay the same mesh on the LandScan population data, would I get the population per km2 (although the base raster data has .0083333 decimal degree pixels? This seems like a very basic question, but clarification of this doubt would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to whoever replies to my question.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Tilottama
0 Kudos
0 Replies