exporting annotation to CAD generates empty CAD

11-16-2012 10:50 AM
LoriEmerson_McCormack
Occasional Contributor
I want to export annotation from my shapefile to CAD, but when I try ArcToolbox -- Conversion Tools -- To CAD -- Export to CAD, I get an empty CAD file.

I do, however, get polyline features when I remove the CADType (Text field with value = "TEXT") and the TxtValue (Text field with value = parcel number) from my shapefile and then export to CAD.

I also tried exporting from a feature class in a file geodatabase, but still got an empty CAD file (no polylines).

What am I missing?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BrettHill
New Contributor III
I don't believe polylines can be converted to TEXT using the CADType = "TEXT".  To produce a CAD file with TEXT entities you need to first label you polyline features with the desired attribute.  Next, convert your feature labels to an annotation feature class stored in the file geodatabase.  Once you have an annotation feature class you should be able to export it to CAD as you described.
0 Kudos
LoriEmerson_McCormack
Occasional Contributor
Aha!  Thanks, that worked.  I also tried converting my polygons to point features and exporting to CAD (with CADType and TxtValue) and that worked too.  I think generating annotation, though, is the cleaner way to go.  I appreciate your help.
0 Kudos