Excel to Geodatabase to Excel?

03-04-2019 01:44 PM
HannahHutchins1
New Contributor II

I'm trying to find a way to seamlessly go between Excel and a file geodatabase; everything from creating a gdb from a properly formatted Excel document and then once that gdb is created, go back into the Excel document and make changes if needed to then update the gdb to reflect those changes. I've found a few options but keep running into hiccups. So any insight would be helpful!

I've been made aware of X-Ray for ArcCatalog. This is a great add-in! I've been able to do a fair amount of things with it. I've been able to create and edit the group of Excel documents from a file gdb, but once I make changes in those Excel documents, I don't know how to bring those changes back into the file gdb.

I've also found this tool that creates a file gdb from an Excel document but I unfortunately don't have this extension: The Excel files used to create a geodatabase in Defense Mapping Solution—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

I've also played with editing XML workspace documents, but I feel most people are more comfortable working in an Excel environment (myself included!)

Any advice?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus