Draw a parcel outline, make it a layer

Jump to solution
01-31-2012 10:32 AM
AnnaArbetter
New Contributor
I need to create a parcel layer for a facility I am mapping. I took a screenshot (jpeg) of the parcel layer from a GIS website. I want to draw over the jpeg and turn the lines into a layer.

I have already followed the tutorial in my ArcGIS 9 "Using ArcGIS Desktop" manual for "Creating features from a printed or scanned map". This got me as far as having the image (of parcel lines) scaled correctly in my drawing. Next, without a tutorial, I figured out how to draw lines over the image. I'm not sure I did that the best way but anyway, moving on, I need to turn the parcel lines into a layer. It is not currently associated with any layer nor it is a shapefile, and I'd also like to turn it into a shapefile. (If I understand correctly, if you have one, you have the other. A layer is from a shapefile, a shapefile is what you open to get a layer). As you can tell by now, I'm new at this.

By the way, I'm using ArcGIS 9.3

Thank you!
Anna
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimHall
New Contributor III
Anna,
I am sorry to hear that you have been thrown into the fire of GIS.

Try making the shapefile in ArcCatalog first then add this to your map.  Begin editing using the Editor tool bar.  It sounds like you used the graphics tool bar.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JimHall
New Contributor III
Anna,
I am sorry to hear that you have been thrown into the fire of GIS.

Try making the shapefile in ArcCatalog first then add this to your map.  Begin editing using the Editor tool bar.  It sounds like you used the graphics tool bar.

Good Luck!
0 Kudos
AnnaArbetter
New Contributor
jehall,

You hit the nail on the head! Er, you turned my world upside down, and now it works.

Basically, you suggested I do what I've been doing but in the opposite order. And it worked. Additionally, ArcCatalog makes so much more sense to me now. Thank you so much!

anna
0 Kudos