Domains/Subtypes

09-07-2011 06:45 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I was trying to determine the best way to standardize my attribute table.  I thought first I would just use a coded value domain but I am unable to without creating a subtype first, I don't understand this but figured I would just create a blank subtype to create the coded value domain, trouble is subtypes require a Long integer field which when exported to a shapefile are meaningless, just a number in a field.  So I decided to just create a new subtype properly.  I attempted to delete the before mentioned domain and I get the error "Failed to delete a domain from the database.  The domain is used by an attribute rule"  Trouble is I removed that "attribute rule but it still wont delete.  The idea of subtypes and domains are a great idea but this locking problem and the subtype field requirement of being an integer rather than String is an issue for me.  Any help would be appreciated, for now I will just create the subtype and leave the domain.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You can add a domain to a feature class without creating a subtype.  If your feature class has a subtype, the domain must be applied at the subtype level.  If it has no subtype, you can apply the domain directly to the field(s).  Take a look at the following links on how to create a domain and apply it to a feature class:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001s00000004000000.htm

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Associating_default_values_and_domains...
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
Uh, neither of those links worked, all I saw was what is attached.

And, when I try to click on default values or Domain with no subtype set it won't let me do anything but perhaps your links addressed that?
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Nothing wrong with those links from here (in IE8 or Firefox 6).

Are you using an ArcView license?

- V
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
Not sure what the licensing has to do with the website but I have ArcEditor and am using IE9. 

I tried Firefox 5 and it came up just fine. 

Clearly there is some sort of bug in the way the site interacts with IE 9.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Desktop licensing determines whether you have privilege to modify tables.

I had to enable JavaScript to make Firefox work.

- V
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I'm baffled, I created a new test domain and now I am able to click the dropdown for domains everywhere.  Must of been some glitch or something.  Would be nearly impossible to replicate.  I do think you need to look into the problem with those links in IE 9, by the way Firefox updated to version 6 when I opened it and it works fine still.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Do you have scripting enabled for IE9?  Ex:
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I changed those settings and had the same result.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos