Select to view content in your preferred language

DBO or SDE or what schema?

Jump to solution
03-29-2014 04:49 AM
TimHayes
Frequent Contributor
I am using ArcGIS 10.2.1 with SQL Server 2008 R2 OS Authentication.

To create a SQL Server Enterprise Geodatabase is it a requirement to use DBO or SDE Schema? can I create my own schema based on a user group name? for example, I have 3 users each with a different user name. I want all 3 to be db_owner. I can do this at the database level in SQL Server Management Studio. But, the ArcGIS documentation says the user name and schema must be the same name. If I am using DBO schema then my user name must be DBO. This is how I read it. Will it work if I create a user group named, for example: GIS_People; which contains the user names of 3 users; then create a schema named GIS_People; Or must I use only the DBO or SDE schema?

The ArcGIS requirement for the user name and schema name to be the same is really confusing the heck out of me. Other non-ArcGIS databases I am using in SQL Server, the user name and schema name can be different and there are no problems.
14 Replies
LeoDonahue
Deactivated User
And one last thing.

If you go with sde schema, and you should in my opinion, "you" as the administrator of the geodatabase in general should be the only one loading data into the geodatabase under the correct schema name depending on how you want to structure your data.   Schema names being something like your dept name for example.

If you think about this, how many non-gis developers out there get to load data into their company's database whenever they want?  I don't know many, if I can even name one.  That is usually a gatekeeper of somekind.  Be the gatekeeper.
TimHayes
Frequent Contributor
Everyone I spoke with says use SDE Schema. One last question: Do I need to install the ArcSDE 10.2.1 Application Server in order to use the SDE schema?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
No, the Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool handles it all.  Though if you have
multiple independent disks and want to use filegroups via DBTUNE keywords,
it would be wise to have the application server binaries installed, to make
accessing 'sdedbtune' easier.

- V
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Deactivated User
Tim,

My suggestion.... If you still are not sure which one to use and how to implement these.... Have a word with the ESRI Tech-Support. Maybe they can offer a solution as per your requirement.

Just a  suggestion.
0 Kudos
LeoDonahue
Deactivated User
If you are going to ask multiple questions in a single thread, my advice, is to post another thread.

This question: 

• Do I need to install the ArcSDE 10.2.1 Application Server in order to use the SDE schema?

is entirely different than, and does not relate to your original question and title of this thread:

• Is it a requirement to use DBO or SDE Schema? can I create my own schema based on a user group name?

You originally asked about which schema to use, which several of us answered.

The answer you marked correct has nothing to do with the title or original question of your post. 

Marking answers correct and then taking them away is not a good practice.  You are not the only one who does this.
0 Kudos