Select to view content in your preferred language

Customize GeoRules in ArcGIS 10

08-25-2010 07:38 AM
JoeHeggenstaller
Regular Contributor
Is it possible to customize your georules and locators in ArcGIS 10 as was possible in previous versions? Can anyone point me to instructions on how to customize the geocoding rule base (.cls, .xat, .dct, .stn, .mat) and locator template files (.lot) in ArcGIS 10? How about encoding your pattern files??

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello Joe

If you are customizing a 9.x locator you do so exactly as always with the collection of files you mention.  The Geocode directory under your ArcGIS 10 install is still there, but you may notice it is empty.  Simply copy your custom rule base files into the Geocode and Locators directories and you can create and use custom 9.x locators in ArcGIS 10.

10.x locators use the all-new geocoding engine in ArcGIS 10.   These are customizable via editing the .lot.xml file(s) in the Locators driectory.  Documentation for this is still under construction, but you should be able to see similarities with the CLS file elements.

Regards
0 Kudos
JoeHeggenstaller
Regular Contributor
Bruce,

I was aware that you could still use 9.3 locators in ArcGIS 10, but I was really looking to transition everything to ArcGIS 10 since it appears faster and is providing excellent geocoding match rates right out of the box.

Thanks for the heads up on the .lot.xml files, I hadn't opened them, so I didn't realize what a wealth of information they contain. I see how you can add information for street suffixes, etc.; but how do you implement specific custom patterns in ArcGIS 10, similar to editing the .xat files and encoding them to .pat files? I am having a particular problem with roads that have the suffix EXT (Extension), which Brad Niemand (from ESRI) is attempting to help me track down, but I'd still like to be "in the know" about customization. I didn't notice any section in the .lot.xml that appeared to handle custom patterns.

Thanks,

Joe
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Joe

The address grammar is where new "patterns" can be defined for the new geocoding engine.  We're hoping that for major market locators that nobody will have to change the grammar, we would prefer users notify us about cases which cause issues (as you have done) and we re-publish the .lot.xml files on the geocoding resource centre.  I think your EXT issue will be resolved by Brad editing some other element values and not changing any grammar.

Service Pack 1 for ArcGIS 10 will include many improvements to the geocoding experience with 10 locators.

Regards
0 Kudos
JoeHeggenstaller
Regular Contributor
Bruce,

Thanks for the information. The tweaks that Brad is suggesting have helped. I'll forward any further "pattern changes" to you guys. Should I do that via this forum so that other folks see that changes are "in the pipe" or contact support directly?

Thanks,

Joe
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Joe

The best way for us to support address cases is to have sample data, which means attaching files to thread posts if using the forum.  If you are OK doing that then it works for us too, otherwise by support call works too.

Regards
0 Kudos
ThibautDelaere1
Regular Contributor
http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geocoding/details?entryID=51EE55F8-1422-2418-7F8B-FD82DE958...

Besides this helpfull reading, is there any other information available about customizing geocoding in ArcGIS 10? The white paper doesn't cover all possibilities.
0 Kudos