converting Arc 9.3 shp to AutoCAD 2007 .dwg- problem maintaining attributes

06-17-2013 09:44 AM
LizoMeyer
New Contributor
Hello,
I am trying to convert a shapefile/feature class (Arc 9.3) to send to someone with AutoCAD 2007 (.dwg). I would like to check the output before sending it off, but I do not have AutoCAD to check to see what it looks like after the export. When I bring the .dwg file into Arc to look at it, all the attributes are gone/different from the original shapefile.
Is their a way to preserve the attributes from the original shapefile when exporting to CAD? I can not use the Service Pack 1 that is referenced in previous threads, as I do not have AutoCAD on my machine. Any help appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
You can only export points, polylines and polygons (which may show up as closed polylines) the symbols you see in your GIS Session are a part of the definition you have in your MXD

Hello,
I am trying to convert a shapefile/feature class (Arc 9.3) to send to someone with AutoCAD 2007 (.dwg). I would like to check the output before sending it off, but I do not have AutoCAD to check to see what it looks like after the export. When I bring the .dwg file into Arc to look at it, all the attributes are gone/different from the original shapefile.
Is their a way to preserve the attributes from the original shapefile when exporting to CAD? I can not use the Service Pack 1 that is referenced in previous threads, as I do not have AutoCAD on my machine. Any help appreciated!
0 Kudos
LizoMeyer
New Contributor
Im trying to export a polygon that has 2 parts to it, with the attribute of GRIDCODE 1 and GRIDCODE 2 being the important information I would like to preseve. Can I assume that when the person opens up that .dwg file in AutoCAD, the attribute of GRIDCODE will still be there?
Does your response refer to my viewing the DWG file in ArcGIS, and meaning that it does not accurately show the DWG file as it will show it it AutoCAD 2007?
0 Kudos