Select to view content in your preferred language

Conversion of Raster Mosaic information

06-19-2013 01:38 PM
Syvertson
Frequent Contributor
I have a huge number of GRID files that contain elevation information in centimeters.  I have created a Mosaic dataset that references all these files.  When I use it I must convert the units to feet, so I usually do this by exporting an extent of the dataset needed into a temporary file and then do what I need to do.  What I would really like to do is have some sort of filter that would do the raster math on the fly as I work with the raster dataset. 

Any ideas how to do this? 

I planned to create a batch convert of these rasters and then mosaic the new information, but the set is massive and I hate to get rid of the raw original files, so this would require storage of this dataset twice.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
You can do the conversion on the fly.  That is what functions are for.  Have a look at the Arithmetic function.  To convert from centimeters to feet multiply by the constant "0.0328084".

See Editing function chains in a mosaic dataset if you're not familiar with Mosaic Dataset functions.  Also see:  What are the functions used by a raster or mosaic dataset?

You can also keep your MD in centimeters and make a Referenced Mosaic Dataset that uses the function to turn the values into feet.  See Create Referenced Mosaic Dataset

Best Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
GregBacon
Deactivated User

I'm using an arithmetic function on LiDAR data in a mosaic dataset that has been published in an image service. The function multiplies my native data (UTM Zone 18 NAD83, NAVD88 elevations in meters) by 3.28 so the identify tool will be report units in feet. Does this affect tools like viewshed and watershed since my horizontal coordinate system is still in meters? The exaggerated appearance of my resulting hillshade makes me think the vertical dimension will be 3.28 times what it should be.

0 Kudos