Change point feature class to multipoint

Jump to solution
12-07-2015 01:29 PM
DiegoBrenes1
New Contributor III

I have a point feature class where I record projects' (clients) locations and several other attributes.  So far I have been using it to record just one location per project. However, in some instances a project may have multiple locations, which I would like to start including. Some features would have only one point and others would have multiple points. Is it possible to convert my existing point feature class to a multipoint type? I tried through Properties of the feature class in ArcCatalog, but it seems that the Type can not changed (it is grayed out). I use ArcGIS Basic 10.3.

Thanks for any help.

12 Replies
DiegoBrenes1
New Contributor III

Thank you Vince, that worked.

0 Kudos
ZACPINARD
New Contributor

This did not work for me.  It gave me "ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail." and then said "The table was not found" for whatever I tried to name the output feature class.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I was able to confirm that this can be done, using the Dissolve tool. 

The Multipart To Singlepart​ tool can convert multipart features (e.g. Hawaii) into individual features without losing geometry (the attributes are repeated for each part).

Passing file geodatabase rows through Excel and into an event theme is a long way around the block as a replacement for a simple two cursor copy (Query/Insert), and it's not obvious how you would make a multipoint geometry from such a solution. 

- V