Cannot transform TM_65 to GCS_WGS_1984 - Help!

05-05-2017 04:01 AM
AdamBrodie
New Contributor

I have imported a shapefile of Northern Irish DEA boundaries, default projected at TM_65 Irish grid coordinates. I want to re-project them to GCS_WGS_1984. However, my Project tool tells me that all available projection changes (eg. TM65_To_WGS_1984, TM65_To_WGS_1984_2, etc.) are invalid transformations. How do I fix this error?P

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Just did this my side (Arc10.4.1), loaded Nat geographic base map, zoomed to Ireland, then set the data frame coord sys to Irish national grid, then set either of these - TM65_To_WGS_1984, TM65_To_WGS_1984_2 as the transformation (TM65 is a Modified Airy based system). So, was just going in the opposite direction to your case.

No probs here.

So what version you on?

0 Kudos
AdamBrodie
New Contributor

I'm using Arc10.5, and the Open Street Map basemap, which doesn't have a data frame coordinate system attached...but the boundaries of which best fit WGS_1984. Do I perhaps need to define the coordinate system?

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

No, the data frame will assume the coord sys of the first layer added to it, if this is a new mxd.

Most web layers are in that Web Ax sphere thingy. But WGS84 based (the underlying datum / spheroid).

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Try redefining the data to Esri's version of the coordinate system. If the GCS or datum names don't match, it won't find the available transformations.