Canadian geocoding headache

2546
8
06-14-2016 09:32 AM
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hey everyone,

 

As per the subject, I have a geocoding headache (is there a worse kind?). I've successfully created address locators and geocoded addresses before, but I'm running into a wall right now.

 

Here's what I'm working with: A .csv table I received through a freedom of information request that contains the following fields: address (ex. "1 SCRAPER ST W), municipality, postal code, and province. All of the addresses are within the province of Ontario, and there are over 120,000 of them.

 

I've been trying to create an address locator using the Ontario Road Network Segment with Address, which contains the following:

 

The ORN is a national, provincial and municipal initiative that supports the creation, maintenance and sharing of a standard road database. With a positional accuracy of 10 meters or better the ORN is the authoritative source of roads data for Ontario.

 

 

This dataset is derived from the ORN Road Net Element data class. It combines 3 types of geometry:

 

road elements

 

ferry connections

 

virtual roads

 

Address ranges span intersection to intersection or may be interpolated across intersections. Dataset contains 5 attributes:

 

street name

 

address information

 

route identification

 

road classification

 

direction of traffic flow

 

However, once I successfully create the address locator and proceed to geocode, I get zero matches. Am I using the wrong reference data?

 

Help!

 

Thanks,

 

David

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I just downloaded the data myself to take a look at it.  Seems to me that the address range data is contained in the L_FIRST, L_LAST and R_FIRST, R_LAST attribute field.  They look backwards to me; here in the U.S, ranges are typically shown as From/To, and the From address is less than the To address.

What type of locator did you build on this data?  What version of ArcGIS are you using?  I looked for Scraper in the data and couldn't find it.

Edited minutes later:  looks like some of the address ranges are backwards and others are not.  I created locators in both version 10.0 and 10.3.1 (us streets and us address dual range respectively) and neither of them returned a match when interactively entering addresses.  I feel your pain....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Joe,

Thanks for looking in to this. I made a dual-range US address locator. I'm using ArcMap 10.3. The data I'm using contains addresses of restaurants in Ontario, so "Scraper" was just an example name of a street I made up. The format of the data is:

[STREET NAME and DIRECTION] ; [CITY] ; [STATE/PROVINCE] ; [POSTAL CODE]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

see my edited response above....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

freedom of information request?   hmmm .... may not be in a ready to use format i would try a couple of addresses to see how they compare to city databases or even good old google maps/earth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hey Dan,

They're in .CSV, and are formatted as mentioned above. I would assume those fields should be adequate for geocoding... unless you have a suggestion?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

geocoder.ca: geocoding for North America - USA and Canada or OpenStreetMap

and several examples of geocoding structures from university map libraries exist  ie. http://www.lib.uwo.ca/files/madgic/gis_help/geocoding_addressmatching.pdf

I just want to check that what they provided was sufficient for the geocoding since you may have to do some resructuring of the *.csv once you read it in (ie concatenating fields etc).  When you get a 0% match, it is either the road network or the addresses that are deficient.  We use DMTI or OpenStreetMap for teaching... the former is not free however.http://www.lib.uwo.ca/files/madgic/gis_help/geocoding_addressmatching.pdf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor II

I have had problems with locators returning no results because the locator requires a zone.  I fix this by going to the locator properties and expanding the "Geocoding Options" section and change the "Match with no zones" line to Yes.  Then I am able to get the locator to find addresses.  But it sounds like your address data uses zones so I don't know if that will help.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When I built my locator with the downloaded data I set it to accecpt addresses without zone. Goose eggs.

0 Kudos