Select to view content in your preferred language

Can you do this? Attach a specific CAD view in ArcMap

05-24-2011 11:14 AM
CherylTrine
Occasional Contributor II
I making a map of our underground campus fiber optics system in ArcGIS.  I also have a CAD schematic diagram of the system.  I would like to be able to use these two together in ArcGIS without having to use static snapshots of the CAD schematics because the CAD drawing is a living document. 

What my boss would like to be able to do is: when zeroing in on a distrubution unit (FDC/TDU/etc.) he could pull up a view of the CAD schematic that is associated with that particular distribution unit while still viewing the .mxd (i.e., he doesn't want to have to learn how to navigate AutoCAD as well)  I can make an attachment to the CAD schematics that opens up the schematic in AutoCAD  (but not to a particular view).  I could convert CAD views to .jpg and attach them, but then they are static, and if not updated, may not reflect the latest changes.  I want to be able to see a particular view (similar to ArcGIS Bookmarks) and be confident it shows the latest changes. 

Do you know of a way to make an attachment in ArcGIS that would go to a particular view of a CAD drawing, or some workflow that will achieve the same purpose (e.g. a script that would update the .jpgs of the CAD views)?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III
Take a look at ArcGIS Schematics.  We have several large partners (Telvent Miner & Miner and Telcordia) that use ArcGIS Schematics for this.  You can link a GIS object to a 'diagram' and have it pop-up.  The diagrams themselves are data driven, so changes in the real data are often automatically reflected in the diagram.  So no static 'dummy' diagrams, they are live.  Send me an e-mail and we can setup a time to learn more about what you are doing and how ArcGIS Schematics might be able to help.

randerson@esri.com
0 Kudos