Can't save Schematic changes

09-09-2014 11:29 AM
DavidLehrke
New Contributor III

I've created a diagram with initial positions, then ran the 'Geo - Partial Overlapping Links' algorithm. So far everything is fine and nothing has taken any significant time to process but when I try to stop editing diagram and save my edits that processing icon just rotates endlessly until I close ArcMap rather than wait for it to respond.

The only difference I can think of between this and other schematic diagrams I've created is that this one is created data using a database connection rather than a file geodatabase.

Fortunately, it looks like the changes I've made ARE getting saved, but it still requires me to kill the program - reopen it - and unlock my diagram each time I make changes.  What is causing this issue?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Anne-YvonneBlin
New Contributor III

Hi David

What is the version of ArcGIS for Desktop you are working with? How many schematic features do you have in your diagrams? What is your database platform (Oracle? SQL Server?)

0 Kudos
DavidLehrke
New Contributor III

ArcGIS 10.2

53 links and 79 nodes (created from node reduction on about 3000 line features)

Oracle

0 Kudos
DavidLehrke
New Contributor III

I've been running some tests to narrow down what's causing the issue and as far as I can tell it has something to do with using a different Coordinate System in Schematic than what the source data uses.

Basically, my source data is in WGS84 but I need to convert it State Plane in order to use the schematic algorithms properly.

0 Kudos
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III

Why do you have to convert to state plane?  You should try to keep the schematic dataset and feature classes in the same coordinate system.  This can be done by exposing the schematic feature classes in catalog (right-click the schematic dataset and choose the show/hide schematic classes option).  Then you can go to those feature class properties and adjust.

0 Kudos
DavidLehrke
New Contributor III

The algorithms use the coordinate systems native units and separating line with 'Partial Overlapping Links' algorithm with Decimal Degrees will create different results dependent on if these lines are moving north-south or east-west and also dependent on what part of the country they are in.

0 Kudos
Anne-YvonneBlin
New Contributor III

Could you please try to apply the Force Directed algorithm on your diagram and save the layout? What's happen in this case when saving?

0 Kudos
DavidLehrke
New Contributor III

When using the Force Directed algorithm I get a similar situation, except after killing Arcmap and reopening it, only the new Link positions get saved.  The Nodes remain in their old positions, so even weirder.

0 Kudos