CAD text displays inconsistently

12-08-2010 10:59 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jwolff

My organization uses some very basic sample CAD data in training material for our entry-level users.  Recently we've noticed the CAD text displaying differently for different users.  For some it displays just as it does in AutoCAD, but for others it shows the format tags such as <BOL></BOL>, etc.

Is this a version or service pack issue?  Is it some sort of format/options setting in ArcGIS that affect how the .dwg is read?  Is it something simple we need to change to the source CAD file, or is it on the ArcGIS side?

Attached are the source 'Building_Changes.dwg' (.zip) and some reference .jpg images titled by the version from which they were taken.  The .dwg is v2004.  I haven't had a chance to test 9.3.1 SP2 or 10 SP1 yet.

Thanks for any help/suggestions anyone has.  Please let me know if you need further information.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: apt42

My organization uses some very basic sample CAD data in training material for our entry-level users.  Recently we've noticed the CAD text displaying differently for different users.  For some it displays just as it does in AutoCAD, but for others it shows the format tags such as <BOL></BOL>, etc.

Is this a version or service pack issue?  Is it some sort of format/options setting in ArcGIS that affect how the .dwg is read?  Is it something simple we need to change to the source CAD file, or is it on the ArcGIS side?

Attached are the source 'Building_Changes.dwg' (.zip) and some reference .jpg images titled by the version from which they were taken.  The .dwg is v2004.  I haven't had a chance to test 9.3.1 SP2 or 10 SP1 yet.

Thanks for any help/suggestions anyone has.  Please let me know if you need further information.

Hi Justin,

I checked the dwg file you had attached, 9.2 did not read the MText formatting correctly, I tested it on 9.3.1 SP2 and MText with formatting were read properly.
0 Kudos
GregEpp
New Contributor II
Make sure there are no reserved characters in the Text String. I had a similar problem and when I replaced the "&" with "AND", the CAD text was displayed properly.

Greg
0 Kudos