01-12-2017 02:05 AM
abdallahilemrabott
New Contributor

How to block exporting data from a geodatabase 

0 Kudos
16 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

That's them.  Sorry to be terse - it's early in Redlands!  The licensing tool has a parameter to set blocking of data export.

These tools grew out of software Esri built to license data products back when everything shipped on media.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I recently used this licensing tool in an attempt to block the export of data from a file gdb, but I had issues labeling the data (complex labeling).  This might not be an issue for you with simple labeling, so this is just an FYI.

BUG-000101771 [Layers in an existing MXD resourced to a licensed file geodatabase disappear from the map

abdallahilemrabott
New Contributor

when I tried to generate license file geodatabase I have the following error

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Your input was a Personal Geodatabase, not a File Geodatabase.

0 Kudos
abdallahilemrabott
New Contributor

For the geodatabase file it does not give the possibility

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

That tool is looking for the license file, not the GDB.

Regards

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

You need to generate the licensed file gdb first and then that creates the protected file gdb as well as a License Definition File that is the input for generating the license file that would be installed on the computer that can access this licensed file gdb.

Another bit of information from my recent use of this tool is that is did not work from a network drive (ESRI was able to get the tool to work on their network).  As a workaround, I copied the original file gdb to my c-drive and I was able to successfully run the 2 tools to generate the protected file gdb and it's associated license file.

0 Kudos