Select to view content in your preferred language

Best map projection for a particular region:-)

11-01-2010 11:13 PM
maniB
by
New Contributor
Hi there...
               I am a student jus started on my college project.. I am thinking of finding the best projection suited for various regions of the  world taking certain factors into consideration....  well I am not clear enough like what image format should I prefer to use in my scenario here?!!

where can I possibly get the  free data to implement this...

i am jus confused like where/ how to start this... So any ideas or suggestions are truly welcome...

Thank you...
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi there...
               I am a student jus started on my college project.. I am thinking of finding the best projection suited for various regions of the  world taking certain factors into consideration....  well I am not clear enough like what image format should I prefer to use in my scenario here?!!

where can I possibly get the  free data to implement this...

i am jus confused like where/ how to start this... So any ideas or suggestions are truly welcome...

Thank you...

Hi,

I can't help you on where to find a free world raster. See if you can get access to the Esri Data & Maps CDs/DVDs. Or check USGS website.

For your project, see if you can find a copy of

Canters, Frank. Small Scale Projection Design.

Also useful might be:

Snyder, John P. Flattening the Earth.

which discusses the different projections created over the centuries and what they were used for.

Melita
0 Kudos