Select to view content in your preferred language

Automated Batch updates to ArcSDE geodatabase

05-13-2010 09:09 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: keeblerh

We need to automate and batch gis data updates into an arcsde geodatabae.  The incoming data is in shapefiles and requires some ETL processing prior to loading them into the geodatabase.  One would think that a geoprocessing model could be created and executed from a python script or something but I can find no evidence of this in any of the papers or discussions I 've found.   It appears that most folks just write code to do it.  Most of the examples I have found are for older versions of ArcGIS and I was wondering if someone could point me to the latest and greatest best practice for this.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrandonCales
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ldonahue

An option - aside from writing code:

1. use model builder(python) to prepare the shapefile

2. use shp2sde to load into the GDB (sde command line)

http://help.arcgis.com/en/geodatabase/10.0/admin_cmds/Support_files/datamgmt/shp2sde.htm
0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
Holly,

What exactly are you trying to do with the shapefiles before loading them into the Geodatabase? There are a number of methods available through Python for loading data into the geodatabase but I would like to know more about your workflow before offering suggestions.

Also, what version of ArcGIS Desktop are you using?
What version of ArcSDE are you using?
What DBMS is ArcSDE running on?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: keeblerh

Russell, thanks for getting back.

We have basically written code to do all of this using C# and arcobjects.  The shapefiles received need to have fields parsed (reformatted) and mapped to different fields in the SDE geodatabase.  Our update process is a replace - delete what's there and reload.  We are using the latest and greatest version 10 of everything.  The DBMS is oracle 11g. 
Thanks.  We would still be interested in any suggestions.
0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
Holly,

ArcObjects will give you a little bit more efficiency in the ability to copy data and map to new fields at the same time.

Without going into too much detail a possible geoprocessing workflow would be to use the feature class to feature class tool to set up your field mapping and copy to a new dataset, you could then use delete rows/delete features to 'clean up' the existing dataset, finally you could use copy features/copy rows to copy the data created from the feature class to feature class tool into the geodatabase.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos