Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcSDE, Replicas and Joins

05-02-2011 08:01 AM
LauraCarr
New Contributor
Hi all,
Does anyone know if performing joins and relates in ArcMap can affect the replica relationship between ArcSDE databases?

Situation - have a two-way replica between SQL Server ArcSDE geodatabases.  Bulk edits were performed on the child database in ArcMap using the Join and Relates tools.  When we try to send a change message to the parent we get error messages and cannot import the changes to the parent replica.  When we did the change message the Joins and Relates were not removed in the ArcMap session.

Does anyone know if doing a Join or Relate in ArcMap affects the SDE database somehow - especially if you are participating in a replica? 

Thank you in advance.
Laura
0 Kudos
2 Replies
mvisekru
Occasional Contributor
Are all of the tables and feature classes registered as 'versioned' that participate in the replica?
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I ran a test with this scenario.  I created a two-way replica from one sql server database to another.  I added the child geodatabase feature class to ArcMap, added a join, updated a field based off of the join, did not remove the join, and then executed the 'Export Data Changes Message' tool from the Distributed Geodatabase toolbar. 

I was able to successfully create the XML file and import this into parent geodatabase.  So, the join/relate should not be affecting the replica.  What is the error message you are receiving?
0 Kudos