ArcSDE 10 SP2 Connection Performance

157
9
06-17-2011 02:17 AM
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

We have upgraded ArcSDE from 9.3.1 SP2 to ArcSDE 10 SP2. Currently, the performance have been degraded since the upgrade. To establish a connection using ArcCatalog 10 SP2, takes around 3 minutes !!!

There were no changes in platforms only upgrading the ArcSDE, i have checked the SERVER_CONFIG Table and i don't see problem with the parameters. The performance was much better with ArcSDE 9.3.1

and, i have checked the server resources and they seem ok....

i have attached the "intercept file " for your review please...

the current platforms:
Oracle 11gR2 hosted on IBM AIX 6.1 server
ArcSDE 10 SP2 hosted on the same database server (IBM AIX 6.1)
Desktop version used (i.e. ArcCatalog): 10 SP2

Your Support is highly appreciated.
Reply
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Regular Contributor II
Please contact Technical Support so they can work with you to identify the root cause of the slower connection times at 10.0.  We have gotten reports of this and need you to work with Technical Support to isolate the issue.
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor III
I don't think this is as much an issue with the upgrade from 9.3.1 to 10 sp2 as it is just making the jump from 9.x to 10.x.  We went through this when we upgraded and a solution was not found.  our larger databases have been left at 9.3.1 for speed issues.

For reference, Bug NIM064663
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor II
Jacob,

We've been investigating NIM064663 and believe we have a fix for it.  One thing we did find is that the issue referenced in the bug was primarily due to connections to the geodatabase using a Desktop client (like ArcCatalog), over a wide area network, such as the internet. 

Is this the situation you are in?
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor III
Very Similar, my organization was the cause for the creation of the NIM, it's nice to hear you're finding a solution.  yes, it's over WAN.  It is a T1 conncection though.  We also experience the issue over a VPN connection.

We've never had an issue with this prior to 10.  We've been an ArcSDE lab since I was hired.  It's what I was hired to implement. 

Like i said, this issue has caused us to have out inhouse server running at 9.3.1
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor III
we are connecting from ArcCatalog using Intranet (local area network) not using the internet at all. we are just connecting to our Oracle Database.

Is there any update on this issue?

Is there any ways we can tune the performance of ArcSDE?
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esri Esteemed Contributor
The best way to receive updates is to contact Tech Support and start an incident.

There are quite literally hundreds of ways to tune ArcSDE performance, but if you are experiencing
a software issue, then it might not make a difference.

- V
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Vince,

i already opened an incident. However, i am trying from my side to investigate more on the issue......

is there any online ESRI documentation regarding ArcSDE 10 Performance tuning ? from the webhelp it

only mentions from Oracle Side only.

Regards,
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor III
Hey V,

I reviewed the ticket for the NIM the other day, and while I can see that the date for last reviewed has changed, I can't see anything on my side. 

I'm curious as to what the fix is shaping up to look like and a pssoible timeline.  If we need to move this conversation to the ticket system or something, let me know.  They really need to allow private messaging on the forums.
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I don't work in Tech Support, so I'm certainly not the best resource for follow-up on incidents.

Virtually all the tuning to be done with ArcSDE is at the database level (or higher). Most the
tuning which is available at the ArcSDE level is in the transport buffers (and I've never made
a change to them that improved performance).

- V
Reply
0 Kudos