ArcScan Toolbar greyed out

12-02-2011 09:35 AM
ClaireClement
New Contributor
I've read all the forums and help, but nothing works.

I have hundreds of historical maps, and am trying to make polygons out of some map features on many of them. I am hoping to use ArcScan to speed up the process, instead of manually digitizing everything.

But no matter what I do, the ArcScan toolbar will not let me start raster cleanup or vectorization, or even let me choose the raster layer I'm working on.

I have checked the extension licenses and everything is enabled.

I started with a trial map, which I have georectified (using spline). It wasn't letting me do "Rectify" in the Georeferencing toolbar, so I followed some advice on the forums and used the ArcToolbox tool "Copy Raster". That worked, finally. I put the image in black and white and did "Classify" in the Symbology tab - 2 classes, so it's binary.

I also made sure to have a vector layer open in my map document as well as the raster I'm working with. And I enabled editing before opening the ArcScan toolbar.

What am I missing?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JanBurdziej1
New Contributor II
I assume you've already solved the issue. Just for the records - I'd recommend changing the symbology of the raster to Unique Values.
0 Kudos
GayathriAlallasundaram
New Contributor III
Hi,

Please try exporting the raster and use this new raster and apply the same steps to activate ArcScan(  1. A shapefile must be added to ArcMap (polyline or polygon) 2. An edit session must be started 3. The image must be bi-level, to make your image bi-level, right click on your image > Properties > Symbology tab > choose 'Classified' and specify 2 classes. ).

Regards,
Gayu
0 Kudos
Pengaturan_PenataanPertanahan
New Contributor
deal All , i tried to do the same to. but my image cannot turn to Bi- Level or used unique value to make it black and white,  can anyone help for this
in symbology tab only appear "streched" and "RGB Composite"

ps :  i already export the raster and tried it again but its still not working.
0 Kudos
GayathriAlallasundaram
New Contributor III
deal All , i tried to do the same to. but my image cannot turn to Bi- Level or used unique value to make it black and white,  can anyone help for this
in symbology tab only appear "streched" and "RGB Composite"

ps :  i already export the raster and tried it again but its still not working.

Hi,

There is no way to make a three band image into a bi-level image. What you must do is add only one band and change the symbology to classified. Then change the number of classes to "2" classes. In order to add a single band hit the add data button and double click on the image file and you will see the individual bands. This should give you the results that you are looking for.

Regards,
Gayu
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor III
Hello!  To convert your three band image, add it to ArcMap, then use the Raster to Other Format GP tool and convert it to GRID.  This will leave you with three datasets; add one to ArcMap and the Classified option will be in the Symbology tab.
0 Kudos