ArcScan settings and best practices?

Jump to solution
06-23-2013 03:51 PM
DavidMedeiros
Occasional Contributor III
Looking for some best practices for using ArcScan.

I'm running a workshop on ArcScan but I'm having a very hard time getting AS to work with the demo image I have (http://bluebook.state.or.us/images/state/legislative/maps/bb_SD_map1000.gif).

I have the extension turned on, the image converted into a 2 color image using symbology > classified, and I'm in an editing session. Most of the tools are active but using the Vectorization Trace tools don't work. I keep getting an error about the snapping environment settings. I've played with all of the settings that I can find references to in the ArcScan help but no change.

I've also tried to run my image using the Automatic Vectorization tutorial but can't get the erase or delete selected cells functions to work.

Very frustrating. The ESRI help on this disjointed, info on settings and options are spread over a large number of related pages.

Any  help on figuring out what I might be missing would be greatly appreciated!

David
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi David,
The Vectorization tool works 'best' when raster centerline snapping is turned on. This will help with many of the 'intersection solution not found errors' if that's what you're seeing. To turn on raster centerline snapping, first make sure classic snapping is enabled in the editor (editor options -> general tab) then turn on the raster centerline snapping agent in the snapping dock window (lower pane).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi David,
The Vectorization tool works 'best' when raster centerline snapping is turned on. This will help with many of the 'intersection solution not found errors' if that's what you're seeing. To turn on raster centerline snapping, first make sure classic snapping is enabled in the editor (editor options -> general tab) then turn on the raster centerline snapping agent in the snapping dock window (lower pane).
0 Kudos