ARCMAP - READING TRANSFORATION / PROJECTION TABLES

Jump to solution
05-29-2017 02:31 PM
ChuckTurlington
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I am using ArcMap 10.4.1 to performing Transformation/Projection using Project under Arc Tool Box Projections and Transformations.  If I wanted to check the Transformation / Projection table applied to my point, is it possible to review this information ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Chuck in the main section on transformation, equation-based and grid-based... the grid-based ones you will notice are documented for the US and Canada since they are using reference points.  Australia and New Zealand have adopted the NTv2 method as well.  If you are talking about a specific projection or coordinate system, then you have to specify which one you are talking about.  There are links for specific ones like NAD83 to WGS84 etc.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

from here  do you mean grid based

0 Kudos
ChuckTurlington

Are the Grid Based Methods what ESRI uses in the background calculations ?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Chuck in the main section on transformation, equation-based and grid-based... the grid-based ones you will notice are documented for the US and Canada since they are using reference points.  Australia and New Zealand have adopted the NTv2 method as well.  If you are talking about a specific projection or coordinate system, then you have to specify which one you are talking about.  There are links for specific ones like NAD83 to WGS84 etc.

ChuckTurlington

Thanks Dan,

I am referring to moving between WGS84 (geographical, meters), and NAD83 Int'l feet or NAD83 US feet mostly.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It's not possible to have WGS84 GCS with units of meters (geographic coordinate systems always have angular units).  Only a projected coordinate system (PCS) could have units of meters. If you don't know where you are, it will be difficult to get where you want to go.

- V

0 Kudos