ArcGIS Online, instant crash! Please help!

04-10-2016 10:11 AM
LauraWiggins
New Contributor

Hey Everyone,

For some reason (recently, it wasn't happening before) ever time I try to open ArcGIS online from ArcMap the application just closes itself. I mean it just blips out, no warnings, no nothing.  It's pretty frustrating because I could do to add some DEM's and stuff for my project, any ideas of what I could try?

Thanks in advance,

Laura ^-^

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Laura,

Can you explain more of what you are doing? Are you trying to add data from ArcGIS Online in ArcMap? Which version of ArcMap are you using?

0 Kudos
LauraWiggins
New Contributor

I just wan't to add a DEM from GIS online so that I can do some zonal statistics work, but as I click add data>add data from GIS online it looks to be loading, then all of a sudden before the picture is fully loaded, ArcMap just closes itself with no warning or error report or anything.  Baffling really, I have no idea.  It seems like some kind of weird bug.

I'm using ArcMap 10.2.1 (:

Thanks

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Laura,

That is unfortunate that it is crashing on you like this. I had some crashing issues with 10.2.1 (different reason). I was able to resolve those issues with installing a service pack (though I don't recall which one). Do you have the ability to upgrade to 10.4 or 10.3.1 or 10.2.2? If not, maybe try this service pack (was the only one I could find with a quick search):

ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 - 10.2.2 for (Desktop, Engine, Server) OpenSSL Update Patch | Samples and Utilities

0 Kudos
LauraWiggins
New Contributor

I will give it a go, thank you

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Sure, I will be curious to hear if this helps or not!

0 Kudos
KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Hi Laura,

If you're not receiving an application error when the crash occurs, its unlikely that a crush dump is getting created--- However, to double-check go to the following directory: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports. If you see dump files here with the dates of the crashes you've experienced, reach out to Technical Support and we can investigate further for you.

Something else to consider since you mentioned that this issue wasn't occurring previously-- check to see if there have been any recent updates to your anti-virus software or trusted sites list. Also, a few quick tests might help narrow down the cause:

1. Are you able to sign into ArcGIS Online through a browser?

2. If you test the same workflow with your anti-virus disabled (only as a test), does the crash still occur?

3. Do you see the same crashing if you login using a different Windows User Profile?

4. Is your graphics card driver up to date?

Let us know if the issue continues to occur as we're happy to help!

Thanks!

Kirsten

0 Kudos