Select to view content in your preferred language

"Valid Feature" message box

Jump to solution
06-26-2013 09:46 AM
DanielWebb2
Occasional Contributor
Recently my ArcMap began to give a message box that simply says "Valid Feature".  It pops up every time an edit occurs (moving a node, etc).  It never happened before and I don't know what changed but it's annoying having the message pop up several times during an edit session.

Does anyone know how to turn that message box off?  Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustinHunter
Regular Contributor
So I ended up figuring this issue out. When I installed the ArcObjects SDK one of the samples it installed was called "AddInEditorExtension." Even though this add-in was not installed it ArcMap acted as if it was. I actually had to go IN to the code and comment out the System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show("Valid Feature"); inside of void Events_OnCreateChangeFeature(ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.IObject obj), because no matter what I did the message showed, even after I forcefully added the add-in and then removed it again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanielWebb2
Occasional Contributor
Does anybody have any ideas?  Any thoughts at all may be helpful.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
JustinHunter
Regular Contributor
I'd also like to know if anyone else has found a solution to this unnecessary pop-up. I'm doing a clip that will hit a few thousand features and I have to sit here and hit "OK"
0 Kudos
JustinHunter
Regular Contributor
So I ended up figuring this issue out. When I installed the ArcObjects SDK one of the samples it installed was called "AddInEditorExtension." Even though this add-in was not installed it ArcMap acted as if it was. I actually had to go IN to the code and comment out the System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show("Valid Feature"); inside of void Events_OnCreateChangeFeature(ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.IObject obj), because no matter what I did the message showed, even after I forcefully added the add-in and then removed it again.
0 Kudos
DanielWebb2
Occasional Contributor
Nice!  Thanks a lot for the help.

For some reason the "Valid Feature" message box stopped popping up so I forgot about it.  But I found the Visual Studio Solution you talked about and the message box so if it starts popping up again I'll comment it out. 

If it's commented out do you think it will require adding a "return" keyword to stop execution without crashing? (I'm still new to C# and developing.)

Again, thanks a ton!  That was driving me crazy for a while.
0 Kudos
JustinHunter
Regular Contributor
No return required. Since the method returns a void it will simply finish execution of itself and automatically finish. There's no harm in adding the return, but it's not necessary.
0 Kudos
KerryLivengood
Emerging Contributor

Thanks so much for your help on this. I had asked all the other users I know and checked websites and found no help until I saw your reply. You can imagine trying to copy in thousands of polygons into a feature class and getting that "Valid Feature" message on every single one. Instead of commenting the lines out as you suggested, I did a clean so there would be no files in the bin folder and the dll could not be used. It has worked so far.
0 Kudos
JustinHunter
Regular Contributor
I never even thought of doing a clean to the solution. That's a much better suggestion than mine.
0 Kudos