Address Locator for Australia?

04-23-2012 08:55 PM
DarrochKaye
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

Is there an Address Locator for Australia available for download? If not, how would I go about building one? I've read through various tutorials etc about this and the main thing I do not understand is what format and what fields are required for an Address Locator.

I am very new to Geocoding so any advice and/or tips on how to create one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DK
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
You might try using the 9.3.1 World Place (ArcGIS Online) Locator Service. This should be a default locator available to you in ArcGIS 10. It is limited on the amount of records it can geocode at a time, but may be sufficient for your uses. I'm not sure if there are any Australian specific Address Locators out there, but you could build your own. To do this, you will need to know what style you want to use and you will need reference data. The fields that you need in your reference data depend on the style that you choose. The following links should be helpful for you:

Understanding address locator styles

Commonly used address locator styles

Preparing reference data

Creating an address locator
0 Kudos
PeterLee1
New Contributor
I am trying to build in ArcGIS v10 a locator for the areas in New South Wales State, Australia. I used the style "US Address - Single House" but the computer keeps crashing on me. I guess it relates to the specification of map projection. The reference table is in GDA94. I wonder what locator style should I use?

Any help would be much grateful.

Cheers.
Peter
0 Kudos
FlorenceFang
New Contributor II

Hi Peter

I know this is a bit late but are you still trying to build your geocoder for NSW or have you found a solution already?

Cheers

Florence

0 Kudos
CoryWilliams
Occasional Contributor II
Plee,
did you get any answer on this?
I'm trying to create address locators using the GNAF and publish them as a Geocoder service to be used by Dekho...

I've also just found this document:
http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geocoding/details?entryID=51EE55F8-1422-2418-7F8B-FD82DE958...

It goes through customising the address locatorsr. 🙂
It's a bit of reading, but could be really useful! 🙂

Cheers,

Cory
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Cory

Please ask Esri Australia for the AUS locator style file.

Regards
0 Kudos
BenoitMetzger
New Contributor II
Hi Cory,

I am trying to do exactly the same thing (but will publish the geocoder service locally, not on Dekho). If you find the solution or if you come across more helpful files, thanks for sharing ! (even an xml maybe 😉

Bruce,
can the files be provided for free, or are there any fees?

Cheers,

Ben
0 Kudos
CoryWilliams
Hi Ben,
I contacted Esri Australia but they don't have an address locator for the GNAF.
They put me in touch with an organisation who is a reseller of PSMA who do have an address locator style but it was out of budget for what I had.

Kind regards,

Cory
0 Kudos
BenoitMetzger
New Contributor II
Hi Cory,

yeah that is what I imagined but still hoped ESRI had something to share. Can I ask how much roughly?

I think I may be in the same situation as you so I guess there is no other choice than go though the document you linked in your previous message (great find by the way)...

Cheers,

Ben
0 Kudos
CoryWilliams
Hi Ben,
check PM.

Cheers,

Cory
0 Kudos