adding xy data in from csv file

07-11-2014 09:30 AM
psiri
by
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am having trouble added xy data for a species occurrences into arcmap. I've successfully done it for 83 species but for these 5, I've been having so much trouble. The x- / y- drop down menu doesn't allow me to click anything (where I should be indicating x-column and y-column). I've tried saving it as .csv, text delimited and tried on different gis documents but it still doesn't work.

The data looks something like this:

SPECIESPOINT_XPOINT_Y
u_malah431235112448
u_malah429814.5170755.6
u_malah402839.5290882.2
u_malah164366379005

I'm looking to plot it and then draw a minimum polygon. I'm just not sure if is just me, or if there is something wrong with the data?

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What program was used to produce the data?  If it originated in an spreadsheet, ensure that the columns are formatted explicitly to numeric, and that there are now missing entries within the rows...save it as a *.csv file and examine it within a text editor.  I have also seen cases where a blank row at the end of the file will make it unreadable by Arc*

psiri
by
New Contributor II

I used excel, but I have checked that its numeric and there are no extra rows. It still comes up blank.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well I am looking at your data and indeed there are numbers there, but if what you have posted is correct, they are left justified, meaning the data are being represented as text...right-click on the appropriate field names, bring up the properties and specify numeric....if this isn't the case...never mind

0 Kudos
psiri
by
New Contributor II

yeah I tried that- still no luck.  thanks anyway

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Also look for spaces. You might try exporting it as csv so you can more clearly see if there are any spaces.

0 Kudos
ISP_graynic
Occasional Contributor II

Are you simply using "Add Data" in ArcMap or are you bringing it in through a tool?

You might want to try using the "Excel to table" tool in the ArcToolbox and see if that works.  I know we have had issues with X/Y data and using the tool has worked.  Just an idea.

psiri
by
New Contributor II

It worked! Thanks for ending my frustration!