Select to view content in your preferred language

Adding an editable layer, starting a map with .dwg's

06-09-2011 05:10 AM
JonathanCarreon
New Contributor
Problem:
I'm trying to begin an edit session but don't have any editable layers. It seems like I should be starting with data that is editable to begin with so I can't find steps to add an editable layer from scratch, as far as I can see.

Background:
I've been asked to encode the location of AEDs in various buildings across my campus. I have the .dwg CAD files to start out with. There is no spatial reference information tied to these files, as far as I can tell. There are plans to encode other information but right now they are all going to go on separate map files. I'm not sure if I should be approaching this problem in a different way (to ensure that everything will be able to merge in the long run). Vague question/problem statement, but I've never worked with ArcGIS Desktop software before and I'm crash-coursing it now...
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
HardolphWasteneys
Deactivated User
CAD files are not editable in ArcMAP.  They can be brought in, georeferenced, displayed and copied (sometimes) to editable feature classes.  However they can be converted to GIS features, both by the CAD to geodatabase tool and by reprojecting to a different coordinate system. 

Likely your best approach will be to convert all the CAD data into gdb feature classes if you need to edit it.  This will involve georeferencing them either by knowing some coordinates or having a reference base map.

On the other hand if you are only plotting locations, you may only need a single point file (feature class or shapefile) and just display the dwgs as background layers once georefed.

Hardolph
0 Kudos