Add XY data makes a displaced layer

Jump to solution
07-26-2014 02:50 AM
SidneyTupper
New Contributor

I want to add places to a map.  I found a text file of LAT LONG NAMES and used Add XY Data and Export Data to make a layer of places on my map.  The data frame, the places layer and the other layers are all WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_36N.  But the places layer displaces the places hundreds of kilometers west of the other layers and scales them down.

I don't understand what's going on and would be grateful for hints about what to do.  I'm using ArcGIS 10.1.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't know what the data in Long Lat could be in but a WGS 84 geographic coordinate system would be a good guess/starting point particularly if it originated from GPS data.  Use the Define Projection tool to define it as such, then use the Project tool to get it into your desired projected coordinate system

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

common issues:

1  Longitude and Latitude is mixed up (long. is X, lat is y)

2  Longitude is missing a negative sign when it should

3  the data are actually projected and not in Long-Lat

4  you are trying to mix Long-Lat data into a data frame which is projected without defining the projection of the Long-Lat data first using the Define Projection tool.

Including a sample of the data would help identify any cases not covered by the above.

0 Kudos
SidneyTupper
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.  Here's a typical line of the text data I made the shape file from:

OBJECT_IDRCUFIUNILATLONGDMS_LATDMS_LONGMGRSJOGFCDSGPCCC1ADM1POPELEVCC2NTLCSHORT_FORMGENERICSORT_NAME_ROFULL_NAME_ROFULL_NAME_ND_ROSORT_NAME_RGFULL_NAME_RGFULL_NAME_ND_RGNOTEMODIFY_DATEDISPLAYNAME_RANKNAME_LINKTRANSL_CD
13-2059689-28567371.26221330.462821154430274636NTG1765039650NA36-09HSTMCG,UGCG,UGNSEMLIKISemlikiSemlikiSEMLIKISemlikiSemliki########1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,91

I used the LAT and LONG columns as Y and X in Add XY Data.  The latitudes range from -1.4 to 4.8 and the longitudes are ~ 30 degrees east of  Greenwhich.  (Uganda).

I will explore your issue no. 4.  After making the shape file with ADD XY Data, what projection should I define it as?  Then I will project it to UTM 1984 36N.  The UTM coordinates might already be in the text data as UFI and UNI but when I go to one, it's not in a likely place.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't know what the data in Long Lat could be in but a WGS 84 geographic coordinate system would be a good guess/starting point particularly if it originated from GPS data.  Use the Define Projection tool to define it as such, then use the Project tool to get it into your desired projected coordinate system

0 Kudos
SidneyTupper
New Contributor

Thanks Dan.  You put me on the right track.

0 Kudos