Select to view content in your preferred language

Spatial View in Feature Dataset

06-15-2018 11:02 AM
Labels (1)
Kathleen_Crombez
Occasional Contributor III

I would like to be able to add a spatial view inside of a feature dataset using ArcCatalog tools.

The only way to currently do this at version 10.5.1 is to alter the GDB_ITEMRELATIONSHIPS on the back end.

It seems this was possible at 9.3.1 and at 10.0 but is no longer possible now that the command line tools are gone.

The new register view with the database command must be different than the old tools because you can no longer drag and drop the view to a feature dataset.

Tags (1)
3 Comments
AllanBenvin_yyc

This is possible using 10.2.2. We just upgraded to 10.5.1 and it allows you to register a spatial view with the database but ESRI seems to have removed the ability to move spatial views into a feature dataset. They have also removed the ability to add relationship classes or subtypes to views.

This is a problem for us as our published database uses views in feature datasets sometimes with relationship classes. The relclasses are useful for users to navigate related data without creating their own relates. Subtypes on views are very useful if you are displaying data coming from a layer with a subtype. 

MichaelVolz

Are you going to need to downgrade your software then so you don't lose this functionality?

Have you investigated how Pro handles this scenario?

AllanBenvin_yyc

We won't downgrade but we may need to keep a copy of 10.2.2 around for a while.

For a relationship class on a registered view, Pro 2.2 fails with "Not supported on a view".

I tried ArcGIS Pro 2.2 and tried to move a spatial view into a feature dataset. Instead of moving it, it did a copy and created a whole new featureclass with a new name (with a suffix of _1). Interestingly, Pro did the same thing when I tried to move an actual featureclass into a feature dataset, it created a copy. I can't figure out how to move a regular featureclass into or out of a feature dataset using Pro.