UTM zone map of Earth

12-30-2014 06:55 AM
VaibhavChhipa
New Contributor

In the UTM zone map of earth, all the zones are of 6 degree in width. Why is that the Zones 31(Row V) and 32(Row V) are of unequal widths? Also the zones 31(row X) is followed by zone 33(row X) till zone 37. What is the reason for this?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Wikipedia... exceptions section  see the references within as well

0 Kudos
VaibhavChhipa
New Contributor

I did get the answer for the 31V and 32V grid zones but is there any reason as to why that has been done for that area only to include the open waters perfectly in a grid. Also as to why 32X, 34X and 36X have not been used. This is just out of curiosity but what I require is the specific reason as to why was that done.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Possibly... politically influenced..., but more likely...to make the 'math' work since 2 x 6°s = 12 ° for 2 zones...

"On the southwest coast of Norway, grid zone 32V (9° of longitude in width) is extended further west, and grid zone 31V (3° of longitude in width) is correspondingly shrunk to cover only open water."

It appears that it was more convenient to have the landmass of Norway be within the 32V zone and the fiddly-bits (aka water) appear on its own, ergo, 9° + 3° = 12° which covers zones 32V and 31V nicely.

Melita Kennedy‌ might wish to weigh in on this in case there is some obscure reason otherwise.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I don't know except what I've read of people answers when the same question was asked on gis.SE here.

(Most likely to accommodate Svalbard)

Melita